I would have to say Fall is my favorite season. Not only are the temperatures mild, but the colors are incredible and the activities are endless. There is so much to do in the fall. Even though it's a little colder, it's a great time to be outside. Whether you like attending all the great outdoor fall festivals or you love outdoor sports, there is something for everyone. Personally, I love all of them! I have put together a list of outdoor activities you can do in your area that make fall my favorite season.
1. Mountain biking - This is by far my favorite sport. It is challenging and rewarding, technical and fast. You get to be out in the wilderness and enjoy the colors and quiet. Having small children in my house, doesn't make for a lot of quiet time, so hearing the sounds of the wild is so soothing and relaxing. I mountain bike from the time the snow melts to the time the snow covers again, so fall is prime time. Temperatures are mild and there is less people on the trails.
2. Hiking - I love doing this with my dogs for many of the same reasons as mountain biking, yet the dogs can keep up. Breathing that cold crisp air, taking in the scenery and again hearing the sounds are calming and rejuvenating.
3. Barbecues - Even though we don't typically eat dinner outside in the fall, I still love to barbecue. It is a great time for tri-tip, roasted chicken or pork loin. I love popping in and out of the house into the cooler air while I check on or rotate the meal.
4. Football - The kickoff of football is always the kickoff of fall to me. It's not my favorite sport, but I do enjoy watching. I love going to a good game although the older I get the more picky I am about which game. I don't want to freeze, so day games work best for me.
5. Baseball playoffs - Baseball is a big deal in my house. We watch it from Spring to Fall, but I must say the best baseball is playoff baseball. Especially when you team is doing good, it is so fun to cheer them on.
6. Horseback riding - My daughter is the rider in the family. She does so well with her horse and she loves being outside with her. In the fall it is particularly nice because of the temps. If you don't have access to a horse there are so many stables around you can rent a horse and a guide will take you on an outdoor adventure. I think this a great thing to do with a family.
7. Harvest festivals - These are everywhere where we live. Apple picking, pies, caramel apples, orchards, cider and even wine tasting. It is so fun to spend a day exploring a new place, one you don't particularly see the rest of the year.
8. Pumpkin patches - Of course the kids want to get their pumpkin, but usually there is more to the pumpkin patch then just that. Corn maze, hayrides, pony rides, farm animals and more. These can be crowded and overwhelming for me, so we try to do a weekday if possible.
9. Kayaking - Yes, this sounds like a summer activity but as long as you wear warmer clothes and you don't fall in, Fall kayaking can be so fun and relaxing. Go out on your favorite lake and enjoy less people, calmer waters and the views.
10. Playing in the leaves - I mean, how can you not? My husband uses the blower to get all the leaves in a pile. While I don't jump in the leaves anymore, I do love to watch the littles enjoy it.